Wednesday, June 30, 2010

A Bit of Luck

On the road again. The rain's pouring hard now, outside the window of the car I'm in. Or whatever's left of the car. The taste of rust fills my mouth, I was stupid to try to spend the night here. I found a netbook 2 days ago, but it's taken me 2 days to find a wifi hotspot. So, it's raining pretty hard outside. I hope this piece of junk doesn't leak. You see, every time it rains, even a small drizzle, survivors here have to find shelter. Or else we're infected. The virus can breed in human blood but that's not to say it can't survive in rainwater. Or any kind of water. Plants take in the water so I can't eat those too. I found a cart full of supplies lying next to some poor bastard yesterday. There was cat food, a few pieces of some meat i didn't touch and bottled water. Thank god, I was dying of thirst. Hunger I can manage but when I start getting thirsty, my mouth goes all dry and papery. My throat feels sticky and I can't think straight. The cat food is a blessing too. For too many days I've survived on nothing but my own spit. The supplies I brought from my village ran out, fast. When, I don't know. My memory's slipping. I guess lack of sleep and nourishment has been taking a toll on my mental welfare. Oh yeah, I killed a few dead ones some hours back on the road. I stopped at this inn thinking i could find something but all i found was a bellboy and a receptionist. With milky eyes, papery skin, and grasping fingers. Bloody nutfucks can run, and run fast. Maybe when you don't feel pain anymore you can keep going until your legs break. I bashed in the head of one that managed to grab me with a piece of metal i found and the other one I broke it's spine by pushing it out the window. I was lucky, usually more would be loitering around the building. They seem to do that, stay near buildings. I know that if I was ever surrounded by even a few of them on the open road I'd be dead. Too tired, too groggy to run. I have a constant headache and always feel like throwing up. Cigarettes help, but not too much. But they're hard to get. The only remaining cigarettes I can find are on the dead ones. Getting them is a whole different problem. And have you ever tried lighting up with only a flint stone? Either you don't or you set your hair on fire. And even a small fire attracts those things; they come running and making those sounds they make-something between a cough and a scream. Maybe they're choking on something, but it's not killing them. Unfortunately. I think I'll give you a list of my inventory now. I carry everything in a backpack i found on some small kid who wouldn't need it anymore. I have a knife, more for opening cans than killing stuff. 3 cans of catfood, a large almost empty bottle of water and some expired junkfood in a plastic bag. Pathetic. Ah, I almost forgot to tell you what happened 2 days ago. The source of the banging noise was caused by one of them in one of the rooms in the basement. I suppose it sensed i was nearby and tried to satisfy it's hunger on me. I got out of there before it broke out. The rain's slowing down now, but it's been like that all night. First hard, then soft, then hard again. I'll wait a little while for the skies to clear then get out before anything finds me. A nap now would be nice. I'm tired but a lot more afraid of what's out there. Maybe if i lie on the floor of the car...

No comments:

Post a Comment